5/6/08

The results are in... was the helmet worth it.















Left is before, Right is after

For those of you who don't remember why we got the helmet in the first place you can scroll down to see. Cody started wearing the Starband at the end of November and we just had our last appointment yesterday. Because we got his helmet at around 13 months we knew it would take a while before we saw any results (the rate of head growth slows dramatically after a year) but we decided it would be worth a try anyway.
During his 5 month period of wearing the Starband Cody's head grew about 12 mm and the diagonals (front of one side of the forehead to the back of the opposite side) changed from a 10 mm difference to a 5 mm difference.

In the end I'm happy we decided to do it for several reasons:

#1 - It rounded out his head which was our obvious hope
#2 - It prevented several injuries from stumbles, falls and the big sister abuse
#3 - It kept him warm in this freezing Ithaca winter weather

Cody didn't mind wearing the helmet at all, in fact he would sometimes try and put it back on when it was off... I think he felt invincible. It doesn't seem to bother him when it's off, I worried he might have some separation anxiety or something. I feel like I need to be more on guard to protect him from a fall, but Cody doesn't even seem to notice it's gone. People were always very curious about his helmet... I was asked a few times at parks "Where did you get that helmet?" Like they wanted to get one for their kids so they wouldn't hurt themselves on the playground... which isn't a bad idea. I always thought that was funny and would just tell them it's a lot easier to buy a bike helmet.

Over all it was a good experience I would do it again.

7 comments:

Sue said...

We can totally tell a difference! That is one good lookin' head :)
His hair is coming in really well too. What a cutie!

Elieson Family said...

Glad it worked so well! We tried to get one for Seth, but insurance (after repeated tries!) declined our request. Way to go! We're not too concerned, we'll just keep his hair long... :)
Lookin' good Cody! And ditto on the other uses for the helmet - Michael totally wanted one to prevent head injuries from overzealous siblings.

Young family said...

I am so glad that Cody's head looks better and that the helmet helped. He is so cute and we can't wait to see him next week!!!
I love the Puppet play house too. We may have to get one.

Nicole said...

I can definitetly see a difference in the before and after pictures-besides the hair growth! I'm glad you're happy with the results!

Hayter Family said...

His hair looks redder! I gotta get one of those helmets.

jgalke said...

What a good mommy Alex! He looks darling - we can't wait to see him.

Anonymous said...

Yea for Cody. You did the right thing! What a cutie pie he is and what a really nice guy.

Marilyn